Oral Surgery/Bit my tongue

Question
Tongue bite
Tongue bite  
I bit my tongue last night as we all have done. I noticed this time however there is a large area of dark red almost black around the bite. Is this just normal bruising? there is no pain involved. Thanks Mike

Answer
Michael -  the purple area is just like a bruise.  A bruise is actually bleeding from small blood vessels under the surface skin.  In your situation, the area of the bruise is an area where there are many blood vessels.  So you had leak from blood vessels after they were injured.

To promote and speed healing, I suggest that you swish warm salt water in the area of discoloration for
1-2 minutes 3-5 times a day.  The warm salt water will help the bruising disappear and promote healing.  So start the rinsing and within a few days the color will lighten, but it may take 7-10 days for the color to completely disappear.  

So not dangerous and will heal, but the warm salt water will speed it up.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired