Oral Surgery/Jaw surgery or no?

Question
Front view
Front view  

Side view
Side view  
I used to have an underbite, but after removing a few teeth and getting braces, my bite was corrected. However, my lower jaw still appears protruded from the side. It's not extremely severe, but still noticeable. I'm 15, what can I do now to improve my jutting lower jaw? Is a reverse-pull face mask still an option for me? Or is surgery the only thing I can do at this point?

Answer
Gina,

This is a very difficult question to answer with out a long discussion. Generally speaking, if your growth has not completed, the orthodontist should be able to move or guide the growth of your jaws.  Once growth has completed surgery is usually the only option. The most important piece of this is that before your teeth are moved around, your orthodontist has to know if your are going for surgery or not. The movement of the teeth are different and the placement of the teeth may be in different locations. Usually the decision needs to be made before moving teeth around. Remember, these are general statements and your orthodontist and surgeon need to discuss this as they will be able to look at radiographs, discuss your goals, etc.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon