Oral Surgery/One other question

Other side
Other side  
Would you mind taking a look at tongue now? It's currently 3 pm and ate breakfast and lunch and taught school all day. See how it's more pronounced now than this morning? I've attached a pic of other side of tongue bc there's areas of irritation there too but not as bad. Also when u say to let it heal and keep it clean what should I do?  Salt water rinses? It doesn't hurt and feel no pain. If I didn't look at it I wouldn't even know it's there. That's why I'm confused because if it was caused by trauma wouldn't it hurt? Thanks so much for your advice.

Steve - Yes you need to keep it clean with salt water rinses, but more so, you need to only eat foods that do not require chewing.  You should pick up Ensure supplement.  Use this as food.  No chewing.  Continue the warm salt water after everything you eat to rinse your mouth.  

This will take a full 10 days to heal.  If it continues, you dentist needs to make a simple appliance that blocks the area so you don't chew on the area.  If it still remains, you need to see a dentist who can help you more by fabricating something more sophisticated.  

So don't chew and rinse often.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC