Oral Surgery/Jaw reconstruction

I had jaw reconstruction surgery in 2006. Im not sure if I have plates or not but I do have screw's on the left side. That is where most of the work was done. I have had a lump under my jaw right under my ear for about 2-3 years now. Sometimes i forget it's there but other times it flares up and is more prominent and tender. I went to my primary care and they did an ultrasound. She said that the lump is my salivary gland and that the surgery must have shifted it to where now I can feel it when normally I wouldn't be able to. Could this be the case or should I get a second opinion? Thank you

Dear Brooke,

I don't believe the problems with plates and screws manifest themselves in that area. Also, jaw surgery does not shift glands.  My suggestion is to see an Oral and maxillofacial surgeon and take a panoramic xray. If it is not the plates, they would refer you to an ENT doctor.

Good luck

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship