Oral Surgery/having your jaws repositioned to how it was before jaw surgery

hello I had jaw surgery, nearly 11 months ago, and I do not like my appearance of my face. I look worse than before. my face has gone round, I used to have a nice jaw line before, but now my lower jaw line looks like it is swollen on the side or that I have gained weight. I do not like my upper lips or nose. overall, I do not like the overall outcome of my operation. my confidence level has dropped down so much that I am afraid to go out in public, and meet my old friends who has yet not seen me after my operation. I just want this operation to be reversed. when I smile my upper teeth does not look right. my upper lips feel uncomfortable to smile, for example, my lower lips overlaps my upper lips, if that makes sense. this operation was a big mistake. I was wondering if reversing was possible, if it is, is it possible to reverse both jaws. and how is it done? unfortunately, my surgeons was not the nice surgeon that I thought he was and in fact he said reversing the surgery would make me look worse. I do not know what to do. I am so stressed out.

Hi Sara - I'm so sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. It is possible for the procedure to be reversed. To give you a better more detailed answer, I would need you to send me pictures (photographs of before and after) and radiographs of before and after. The lateral ceph if you have it or can get it would be helpful. If you sent them to me - you can do so privately -  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.