Oral Surgery/Possible "growth" in location of wisdom tooth extraction

Hi Dr. Tieg,

My name is Betsy. I'm 34 years old and my dental history is fairly unremarkable.  I had a wisdom tooth extraction at age 12 (all 4 in the usual spots), braces at age 13, followed by permanent retainers.  I had a root canal on one my lower front tooth about 5 years ago (see attached x-ray photo).

Today the dentist noticed a 'growth' (I don't know what to call it) one the upper left side of my mouth, where the wisdom tooth would have been extracted (see attached x-ray photo).  He told me he was going to send the x-ray to an oral surgeon as well, but I would like another opinion.  

Thank you in advance!

Betsy -  I am sorry to tell you that I do not see anything dramatic.  I know that is good, but the xray only shows an irregularity to the bone contour and I see not pathology.  Seeing the xray directly might be more revealing, but I don't see much on the xray picture provided.  I have enlarged the picture and see a circular irregularity to the surface, but I see no evidence of a lesion.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC