Oral Surgery/had titanium implant last Thursday the 9th June

Dear Dr Teig
I had the titanium implant inserted last Thursday 3 days ago..
The first day after was fine but now I feel sweaty and nauseous and the location of the screw feels tight and uncomfortable. I'm on antibiotics 500 penicillan 4 times a day and have used 800mg ibuprofen occassionally..
The dentist has a good reputation  located at Central Park NYC..
However I thought or was led to believe it would be quite painless and easy so am quite upset to be feeling like this..Will it subside or has something been done wrong? The healing adutment on the screw feels fine and strong.. I'm starting to regret going for an implant and wish I just had a bridge instead..
How long will this take to settle in..It feels like I'm not getting any better
Yours Sincerely Ian

Ian  -some patients feel pressure from the implant placed in the bone if the hole drilled by the dentist was not large enough, and that can last for 5-7 days.  I don't know what post operative instructions you were given, but a good and healthy technique to promote the healing and at the same time reducing the internal painful pressures.  You should immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses.  Not a quick swish, but use it in your mouth for 4-5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  As the water begins to cool, replace it so the water in your mouth stays warms.  That may take 3 or 4 changes of fluid.  After a couple of days the pain should begin to resolve and at the same time the healing will progress.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC