Oral Surgery/Tongue

Question
Other side
Other side  
One side
One side  
QUESTION: Hi dr Joel
Here it is today. Looked redder this morning but I ate hot buffalo wings for dinner last night. One thing I wanted to ask you is that if I presented with this in your office would you recommend a biopsy? Because none of the specialists did that. Is that because a cancer doesn't present with the looks of mine? I sent you pics of both sides

ANSWER: Steve - I would not do a biopsy at this time, since there is healing.  If the healing completely stops or the irritation does not improve a biopsy might be beneficial.  At this stage definitely not.  There appears to be areas of healing at this time and it definitely does not look like cancer from your pictures.

Wake up
Wake up  
Currently
Currently  
QUESTION: Ok thanks. I'll keep rinsing and I'll try kenalog. Def has to be from chewing eating talking during day bc it's much less pronounced when I wake up. Just frustrating. The good thing is that it's painless. Here it is from when I woke up to now at 3 pm. I don't think the mouth guard will help bc I don't think the damage is being done during sleep

ANSWER: Steve-  You'll just have to make notes as to when and what time the area gets worse and when does it get better.

Wake up
Wake up  

Daytime
Daytime  
QUESTION: As you can see it looks the best in the morning when I wake up. So
It has to be from talking eating etc. look at difference.

Answer
Steve -  Just keep doing what do and it should improve.  As to the eating as a cause or an exacerbation of the problem, my suggestion is to try and not eat anything for about 3-5 days and see if there is a dramatic improvement.  That would probably be the best test.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired