Oral Surgery/tooth extraction

Question
I recently had a molar extracted almost 2 weeks ago is it normal for the tooth next to the extraction area to be a little sensitive. Or is the discomfort from my mouth healing?

Answer
Scotth -  it is not totally unusual for the teeth on either side of an extraction to be a little sensitive, but by 2 weeks that sensitivity should have resolved.  It means the doctor probably applied excessive forces to the tooth next to the extraction and the bone that holds it in.  You should definitely get back for an evaluation.  If the dentist isn't sure what is occurring, you should have an oral and maxillofacial surgeon examine that area.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired