Oral Surgery/tooth extraction

I recently had a molar extracted almost 2 weeks ago is it normal for the tooth next to the extraction area to be a little sensitive. Or is the discomfort from my mouth healing?

Scotth -  it is not totally unusual for the teeth on either side of an extraction to be a little sensitive, but by 2 weeks that sensitivity should have resolved.  It means the doctor probably applied excessive forces to the tooth next to the extraction and the bone that holds it in.  You should definitely get back for an evaluation.  If the dentist isn't sure what is occurring, you should have an oral and maxillofacial surgeon examine that area.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC