Oral Surgery/Question about recovery

I had impacted wisdom teeth removed Monday the 11th of this jaw locked up and I had almost no function to open my jaw it was also very painful went in again this past Wednesday and had an  arthrocentesis because of a displaced disk is what I was told. This did give me double the function of being able to open my jaw but now am still having the hard stop unable to open completely closing my mouth hurts my ear is on fire and I am running a fever. I had my bottom 2 removed in 2011 no complications other than dry sockets was painfull but nothing like this I would rate pain at about 3-4 that time. Now is 7 min constantly and us much as 10 if I try to open mouth.

What do I do? How long is this going to last? And why is it so severe?

Jennifer -  it is not unusual to have discomfort from the arthrocentesis and restriction of opening until the area has healed, but 13 days is too long.  You need to have this evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If the surgeon does not help correct the problem or is unable to give you a solution, you should seek an evaluation by a different board certified surgeon.  

I can't tell you what is actually occurring without examining you, but that is why your surgeon or a different one needs to evaluate you and arrive at a cause.  Don't wait.  Get evaluated as soon as possible.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC