Oral Surgery/Tongue

Question
Today
Today  
Today 2
Today 2  
QUESTION: It obviously has to be a repeated irritation and trauma to area. The weird thing is that it doesn't hurt at all. I wouldn't even know if I didn't look. Here it is today. Why do u think it doesn't hurt if it's trauma?

ANSWER: Chronic irritation without excess forces applied, often produces deep scar like tissue that protects the irritated area.  For instance, a poor fitting shoe often produce blisters then eventually bunions if the irritation exists.  Likewise, if chronic irritation in the mouth occurs, initially the irritation produces abrasion in the mouth and tongue.  Repeated irritations to the area will eventually produce thickening of the tissue in the mouth.

This appears to be what is occurring.  The causes appear to be a habit.  Does that occur during the day or night?  I can't be sure without examining you, but your problem appears due to a habit.  You need to be evaluated by a skilled doctor who knows how to define and address your habits.  

QUESTION: Thanks for the explanation. The tongue looks a lot better in morning. Therefore it's gotta be after I eat and chew. Tongue must be getting caught during eating and chewing from malocclusion. That makes the most sense to me.

Answer
That is why your bite needs to be evaluated by a skilled dentist.  That doctor needs to evaluate your bite and when you chew to see if you are functioning correct or is there a bite imbalance that is producing the tongue lesions you repeatedly suffer from.  So what your tongue definitely says, it says to get yourself and your bite evaluated.  Now you need to find a skilled dentist.  Not all dentists truly understand occlusion (bite).  As I have advised you in the past you should seek an evaluation by a skilled dentist at a dental school near you in Boston.

I wish you well and hope a dentist there can help you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired