Oral Surgery/Wisdom tooth extraction,throat cancer

Question
My spouse had stage 4b throat cancer. Went thru 7 weeks radiation, 3 chemo treatments. Wisdom tooth #16 extraction. Spouse is now in more pain which has lasted more than 16 days.  Spot has healed,no infection. Went for 2nd opinion and advise needs sequestrectomy #16.  Advised sharp bone just needs to be filed down. Neither oral surgeon contacted radiation dr. even thou I advised them that the radiation dr. stated they need to.  I read about HBO treatments on cancer website but was never advised or told about these treatments.
Questions: How does a person know if they should have HBO treatments ? X-Ray, ct what needs to be done.
What can a person expect after going thru radiation treatment regarding teeth,bone,nerves,etc. ?  Will X-Ray show the sharp bone ?  The oral surgeon who did the extraction, why didn't he take care of the sharp ?

Answer
Cindy - your questions are very good.  It sounds like there was complete lack of or minimal communication between the oral surgeon and the doctor prescribing treatments for your cancer. Without viewing X-rays or directly examining the surgical site,  I cannot say that a sequestration should be done prior or after attempts to reduce inflammation.  I have always felt that a reduction or elimination of inflammation prior to any type of surgery in an inflamed area is important.

I have used hyperbaric treatments quite a few times in similar or even more extensive situations.  You should speak with the surgeon to remove the bone spur, but having a course of hyperactive oxygen treatment prior to the necessary bone spur removal is important to reduce inflammation.

So you or your wife should speak with both doctors to arrange a proper sequence of treatment to reduce inflammation and pain.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired