Oral Surgery/Papilloma on tongue

Question
Bump under tongue sore
Bump under tongue sore  

Papilloma
Papilloma  
Hello Doctor,

I mysteriously notice what I thought was a swollen tastebud actually looked like a very small Cauliflower (Attached is a Picture). I didn't notice anymore of these but I have recently had the Cold Virus. What is the treatment for this? Is this normal? Thanks for your help

Answer
Small whitish, stipple surfaced areas in the mouth can occur from a simple virus or it could occur from an irritant that has produced a healing with a thickening of the overlying tissue.  It is not totally normal and if it does not resolve on its own after two weeks, I would suggest you see and oral and maxillofacial surgeon to remove the area.  The doctor will most likely suggest a biopsy and that is a good idea to rule out and unusual lesion.

So don't worry, but if it does not resolve within two weeks, have it examined by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and probably biopsied.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired