Oral Surgery/Red Lesion under tongue

Question
Red lesion
Red lesion  
Hello Doc,

I noticed this under my tongue about 3 days ago when brushing my teeth. I've had a cold the past week and I'm prone to get Canker sores but usually they look white. Any Ideal what this could be? It was a little sensitive but no real pain. I have upped my dose of vitamin C to help combat the cold. Any info will help. Thank you

Answer
Mike -I can't be sure without examining the area, but it looks traumatic from the picture you provided.  If there is no soreness it is probably not due to a virus.  I would suggest you keep an eye on the area and if not better within about 5 days, make an appointment to be examined by an oral surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired