Oral Surgery/Red Lesion under tongue

Red lesion
Red lesion  
Hello Doc,

I noticed this under my tongue about 3 days ago when brushing my teeth. I've had a cold the past week and I'm prone to get Canker sores but usually they look white. Any Ideal what this could be? It was a little sensitive but no real pain. I have upped my dose of vitamin C to help combat the cold. Any info will help. Thank you

Mike -I can't be sure without examining the area, but it looks traumatic from the picture you provided.  If there is no soreness it is probably not due to a virus.  I would suggest you keep an eye on the area and if not better within about 5 days, make an appointment to be examined by an oral surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC