Oral Surgery/Septoplasty Before Jaw Surgery

I had deviated septum/septoplasty surgery done 3 months ago.  Now I find out that I am in need of braces/ jaw surgery.  Is there high risk that the jaw surgery could reverse the septoplasty surgery?  Or can the oral surgeon replace the septum if it moves during surgery?

Jake -  I assume that the jaw surgery you you are having includes the upper jaw.  If the surgeon is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with experience with this type of surgery, the septoplasty should not be reversed and any change from the surgery can be adjusted during the surgery.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC