Oral Surgery/Implant

Hello. I had a tooth extraction today with an implant inserted in a molar. The surgeon commented that I had an excellent amount of bone for setting the implant. He did throw in a little bone graft (at no charge) just to be on the safe side. The nurse commented I may have a little gel like or spongy thing come out at the site. I assume after researching, this may be a collagen plug.
My concern is the plug is mostly out already. It is hanging by a small piece. Should I be concerned that it has come out so soon?
Thank you for your help.

Jennifer - A collagen plug is an additional assistance in allowing the implant to sit passively in the bone.  The surgeon said that you have an excellent amount of bone.  If the implant was inserted properly the excellent amount of bone is most important factor in allowing the implant to become totally stable.  

So don't worry.  If the surgeon drilled the hole in the bone correctly and the implant was placed properly the implant should heal properly.  That is the most important fact.  Collagen plugs were not used for implants initially when implants were placed and most healed.  The collagen plug is a "belt and suspender" approach and there is nothing wrong with its use, but if the implant was inserted properly the implant should heal..

So if I were in your situation, I would be confident, unless I heard something different.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC