Oral Surgery/Increased saliva production during extraction

Question
What medication. Can the oral surgeon give to prevent increased saliva production during oral surgery extraction.  Oral surgeon had to wake me up from anesthesia prior to completion of procedure due to increased saliva production  saliva production otherwise normal

Answer
Patricia -  If your surgeon was skilled in anesthesia, he should have known to introduce atropine into the injection that he would give you for anesthesia.  The atropine is a common medication used by anesthesiologists to dry the mouth so saliva does not build up and it drys the mouth.  That is a common technique used by many surgeons to keep the mouth dry.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired