Oral Surgery/Increased saliva production during extraction

What medication. Can the oral surgeon give to prevent increased saliva production during oral surgery extraction.  Oral surgeon had to wake me up from anesthesia prior to completion of procedure due to increased saliva production  saliva production otherwise normal

Patricia -  If your surgeon was skilled in anesthesia, he should have known to introduce atropine into the injection that he would give you for anesthesia.  The atropine is a common medication used by anesthesiologists to dry the mouth so saliva does not build up and it drys the mouth.  That is a common technique used by many surgeons to keep the mouth dry.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC