Oral Surgery/Strange pain

Good Morning,
My brother had a bad infection that caused extreme pain to his chin and lower lip. The dentist said it was a bad infection, did a root canal under a cap and pulled the tooth behind it. This is on the lower side just behind the canine tooth on the lower side. His pain never subsided, he is on his 3rd round of antibiotics. The dentist did another x-ray and said there was no more infection. My brother is loosing his mind, ibuprofen every 2 hours and not sleeping much at all, this has been going on for over a month since it started. At one point, after the extraction and root canal it even hurt up to his eye socket. If you have any idea what could be causing this and who he should go see about this, that would be greatly appreciated. The dentist had no clue why his chin and lip were still hurting.
Thank you!

Susan -  It is a little difficult for me to tell you exactly what the cause of your pain is.  For that reason, you should see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to diagnose and help eliminate the pain.  If you do not know of one, get back to me and tell me where in Vermont you live and I will send you names of appropriate board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon near you.  So get back to me and I will let you know as soon as possible after you send your location back to me.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC