Oral Surgery/Tongue

2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago  

Hi dr Joel
You are probably right that I did or constantly chew on tongue either when I'm sleeping or during chewing while eating. The first pic was 2 weeks ago the second is now. It seems to wax and wane. Seem like a trauma thing or is this something to worry about? I tried to send pics weeks apart to show you the changes and how it starts.

Steve - the cause of the tongue chewing, whether from a bad bite or emotional release, needs to be determined and corrected.  Chewing the tongue is not overly dangerous, there is always the possibility that an infection of the tongue can occur.  For that reason, you need to have yourself examined by a skilled prosthodontist to check your bite and a speech therapist to check a possible traumatic habit.  

So you need a skilled doctor to evaluate you in person.  As I said previously you need to be evaluated at a dental school that has both type of experts.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC