Oral Surgery/Tongue

Question
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago  

Now
Now  
Hi dr Joel
You are probably right that I did or constantly chew on tongue either when I'm sleeping or during chewing while eating. The first pic was 2 weeks ago the second is now. It seems to wax and wane. Seem like a trauma thing or is this something to worry about? I tried to send pics weeks apart to show you the changes and how it starts.

Answer
Steve - the cause of the tongue chewing, whether from a bad bite or emotional release, needs to be determined and corrected.  Chewing the tongue is not overly dangerous, there is always the possibility that an infection of the tongue can occur.  For that reason, you need to have yourself examined by a skilled prosthodontist to check your bite and a speech therapist to check a possible traumatic habit.  

So you need a skilled doctor to evaluate you in person.  As I said previously you need to be evaluated at a dental school that has both type of experts.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired