Oral Surgery/Tongue

Question
Today\'s
Today's  
Today\'s full
Today's full  
QUESTION: Hi dr Joel,
Phone was not letting me attach any pictures and it only lets me attach two so I'll send two separate ones. Here is a full pic and some others. You can something similar on both sides probably from chewing during eating and not enough room in mouth. As you know being a hypochondriac the only thing I fear is something grave like cancer and I've been to a ton of doctors who said it wasn't that. Doesn't look like that to you right?

ANSWER: It is not cancer.  You are just chewing on your tongue.  Adjusting your bite might be the appropriate treatment.

Today
Today  
Today\'s
Today's  
QUESTION: Thanks for the reassurance. Are those skin things just taste buds that are visible because of trauma? Here are two more.

ANSWER: Steve - They might be taste buds, but the area is traumatized and much of what shows as an irregular irregular surface is just chewed tissue.  Let the area heal with some warm salt water rinses.

Today
Today  
QUESTION: I will do that. What I don't understand is if I'm chewing or biting it why wouldn't it hurt? I don't feel any pain and wouldn't even know it looked the way it did if I didn't check it. It definitely looks like teeth marks and it looks as if the teeth or jaw alignment is the cause.

Answer
It is due to a chronic grinding that does not actually cut the tongue, but it is like a shoe that does not fit perfectly.  If you wear it, you will get irritations that don't necessarily hurt, but when you remove the shoe after wearing them for a while, you will have red areas, blisters or even a callous.  So your bite is like a shoe that does not fit properly.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired