Orchids/Leafless Phalaenopsis

Question

I have a Phal orchid that I purchased about 5 or 6 months ago. Today the last leaf fell off. However, it has some green healthy looking roots. Can it be saved/revived? It is in a terracotta pot with orchid mix. It looks as if it suffered from crown rot. To try reviving it, some people say to take it out of the pot and put it in a clear container with only water, no orchid mix. What do you suggest I do? I really want to save this plant. Please help!

Answer
Rosslyn, Crown rot is usually fatal.  Since is is caused by a fungus, you could try putting powdered sulfur on the crown or another powdered fungicide. Since fungi need wet or damp conditions to thrive, I recommend that you repot the plant in fresh fir-bark based orchid potting mix. Keep it on the dry side.  Likely the crown rot occurred when the crown got wet. If the rot is so bad as to have destroyed all of the crown, chances for new growth from the crown are poor.

Orchids

Wayne King