Orchids/Leafless Phalaenopsis

I have a Phal orchid that I purchased about 5 or 6 months ago. Today the last leaf fell off. However, it has some green healthy looking roots. Can it be saved/revived? It is in a terracotta pot with orchid mix. It looks as if it suffered from crown rot. To try reviving it, some people say to take it out of the pot and put it in a clear container with only water, no orchid mix. What do you suggest I do? I really want to save this plant. Please help!

Rosslyn, Crown rot is usually fatal.  Since is is caused by a fungus, you could try putting powdered sulfur on the crown or another powdered fungicide. Since fungi need wet or damp conditions to thrive, I recommend that you repot the plant in fresh fir-bark based orchid potting mix. Keep it on the dry side.  Likely the crown rot occurred when the crown got wet. If the rot is so bad as to have destroyed all of the crown, chances for new growth from the crown are poor.

Wayne King

Any question about orchid culture. I have thirty+ yrs of growing experience,president 2x of our local Orchid Growers Guild,held a position in most all other offices associated with the Guild at one time or another. Head of Orchid judging team for local club meetings and some shows. Member of two Orchid Socities and local Rep.for Mid America Orchid Congress for several yrs.I have in my collection about 800 Orchid plants of all types.

Past/Present clients
Previously an expert on