Orchids/orchid leaves

I have discovered "cottony" white spots on my orchid leaves...
been searching for a solution. The first plant has dry, droopy leaves. I took pictures with my cell phone...I will try to attach them. Thank you!! denise

From your description, it sounds as if your plant has a mealy bug infestation (the picture did not come through). There are many insecticides that are effective-- just check the label to be sure that it indicates mealy bugs.  Your plant may also have root rot.  I suggest that you prepare a solution of the insecticide and then unpot the plant.  If the unpotted plant has any roots that are mushy or stringy, remove those before submerging the entire plant into the insecticide.  Be sure to wear chemical gloves to protect your hands. Then, prepare a fresh pot with lots of drainage holes and repot the plant using fresh orchid potting mix.  If you have several healthy roots (firm), the plant may grow new leaves but it may take several months to recover.  

Wayne King

Any question about orchid culture. I have thirty+ yrs of growing experience,president 2x of our local Orchid Growers Guild,held a position in most all other offices associated with the Guild at one time or another. Head of Orchid judging team for local club meetings and some shows. Member of two Orchid Socities and local Rep.for Mid America Orchid Congress for several yrs.I have in my collection about 800 Orchid plants of all types.

Past/Present clients
Previously an expert on