Orchids/Need help caring for LOTS of new blooms!

Question
Hi - we were given an orchid as a gift a few years ago. I have no idea what kind it is.....the one bloom died, but we kept the stem/leaves alive, and they have grown considerably.  Recently, we got an EXPLOSION of new buds that we thought were leaves, but appear to be flowers.  How do we best take care of these - do we need to pinch some off, switch to bigger pot, fertilize?  We are NOT green thumbs by any means, and I would love to be able to keep these new blooms alive.  Thank you!

Answer
Danielle,  I suspect that you have a phalaenopsis orchid and you seem to be growing it well.  It is not uncommon to have a flower spike grow and rebloom.  When the flowers fold up, the plant can repeat this process of growth and flowering.  If the bloom spike grows too long you can sever it just above a joint (ie node).  It could then send out branches from the node (ie joint).  At some point, you may wish to repot the entire plant in fresh orchid potting mix and a slightly larger pot. You fertilize with a 20/20/20 plant food according to the instructions on the fertilizer container. It seems that you already solved the issue of light level-- just keep doing what you are doing..

Orchids

Wayne King