Orchids/orchids

Question
I have several orchid plants most of which have lost all their leaves and blooms, are they dead or dormant how do you tell?

Answer
I'm assuming that you have phalaenopsis orchid plants.  If so, it is likely that your plants have root rot.  Ideally, these should be repotted annually in fresh orchid potting mix, in pots that have lots of drainage holes. Unlike most other house plants, orchids need a fairly open potting mix which allows air to pass freely through.  Also, the potting mix needs to dry out between waterings.  Phalaenopsis orchids do not have a dormant period like some other types of orchids.  Any phalaenopsis that loses all of its leaves likely cannot be saved.

Orchids

Wayne King