Orchids/white marks

Hi!  recently purchased a large phalanopsis plant from my grocery store. When I brought it home I realized that there was many white stains/marks all over the plant's leaves. I tried wiping it off with a moist towel, but when it dries the marks all come back again. Do you have any idea what this is? Is there a way I can get rid of it?

Victor, the white marks are likely a calcium deposit from hard water.  Suggest you try a bit of vinegar wiped on the affected leaves. Depending upon the thickness of the deposit, you may need to repeat this application. Vinegar contains a weak acid (acetic) which can dissolve the calcium without damaging the leaves.

Wayne King

Any question about orchid culture. I have thirty+ yrs of growing experience,president 2x of our local Orchid Growers Guild,held a position in most all other offices associated with the Guild at one time or another. Head of Orchid judging team for local club meetings and some shows. Member of two Orchid Socities and local Rep.for Mid America Orchid Congress for several yrs.I have in my collection about 800 Orchid plants of all types.

Past/Present clients
Previously an expert on