Orchids/Phalaenopsis flower spike

Question
Jerry,

Is it normal for a Phalaenopsis to send their flower spike up from the center of the plant? I thought it was normal for them to send up a flower spike from the side of the stem. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Derick

Answer
Thanks for the question Derick.  Most of the phalaenopsis we grow are hybrids that involve two or more species.  Species have different growing and flowering habits. Most phalaenopsis flower from the base of the plant.  However, there are exceptions based upon which species, or combination of species, are involved.  So, when a flower spike originates from the center of the plant this may be normal for the species involved.

Orchids

Wayne King