Orchids/Phalaenopsis flower spike

Is it normal for a Phalaenopsis to send their flower spike up from the center of the plant? I thought it was normal for them to send up a flower spike from the side of the stem. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Thanks for the question Derick.  Most of the phalaenopsis we grow are hybrids that involve two or more species.  Species have different growing and flowering habits. Most phalaenopsis flower from the base of the plant.  However, there are exceptions based upon which species, or combination of species, are involved.  So, when a flower spike originates from the center of the plant this may be normal for the species involved.

Wayne King

Any question about orchid culture. I have thirty+ yrs of growing experience,president 2x of our local Orchid Growers Guild,held a position in most all other offices associated with the Guild at one time or another. Head of Orchid judging team for local club meetings and some shows. Member of two Orchid Socities and local Rep.for Mid America Orchid Congress for several yrs.I have in my collection about 800 Orchid plants of all types.

Past/Present clients
Previously an expert on