Orchids/black ring around orchid stem

I am a first time orchid owner. The flowers on my orchid have all fallen off and I cut off the stem an inch above the second stem per some instructions online. A black ring started developing and I cut it off again. The black rings keep coming back around the stem where I cut it. Now, it is a little over an inch above the second node. Should I cut the whole stem off? Should I keep it?

There are three large green leaves on my orchid plant. One of the stems were cut off because it was turning black. I have only one stem left.

Also, some of the roots have been getting mushy and rotting on my orchid plant. Some of the roots have been cut off. Do I need to repot?

Amy, I assume you have a phalaenopsis orchid.  There are two types of phalaenopsis plaants as far as flower spikes are concerned.  On one type,. the flower spike remains green and can reflower from a node.  The other type has a flower s[pike that dies back and does not reflower. Undoubtedly you have the latter.  The old flower spike will die back and cutting  off a portion will not stop this die back.  All reflowering on this type of plant will occur only on new flower spikes.

Wayne King

Any question about orchid culture. I have thirty+ yrs of growing experience,president 2x of our local Orchid Growers Guild,held a position in most all other offices associated with the Guild at one time or another. Head of Orchid judging team for local club meetings and some shows. Member of two Orchid Socities and local Rep.for Mid America Orchid Congress for several yrs.I have in my collection about 800 Orchid plants of all types.

Past/Present clients
Previously an expert on