Organic Gardens/Organic Herbicide

Question
Hi. I am a International Baccalaureate studentand I need help on my science fair project. I am trying to research ingredients for making an organic herbicide. So far the ingredients that I have come up with are not in season. What do you suggest for winter? Also, I am trying to find dandelion plants and seeds and also crabgrass. I'm not sure where I can buy it because I need all the plants to be of similar size in order for the testing to be accurate. Thank you very much!

Answer
You can use distilled vinegar full strength as a herbicide, it will kill anything because it is very acidic, and it is non toxic and organic. You can spray it on or just put it on a plant with an eye droper.  If you do a large area you will have made the soil very acidic and you will have to make in alkaline again by adding some gypsom or soil sulfur to get the balance back to around a pH of 7, which is what most plants prefer.

Organic Gardens

Frank and Vicky Giannangelo