Organizing Your Home & Workspace/Cooking odors in my apartment

Question
How to stop neighbors food/cooking odors from entering my apt? Apt is about 530 sq. ft. Old, leaky windows. 1st floor of 2 story apt. Has Zone line heater/air conditioner that is closed off to out side air. Exhaust fan over stove leads directly to outside. Exhaust fan in Bathroom is covered and sealed off in an effort to keep odors out. It is no longer available for use. Hot humid weather prevents me opening windows. Apt has washer and dryer. Holes in the wall for the pipes are plugged up with foam to prevent anything from crawling through. This building has 2 sides. On my side there are several 2 story apts and on the other side all apts are on ground floor. Apt has hard wood floors and I actually have masking tape around the area where the wall meets the baseboard to stop odors and insects from coming in that way. I also have plugs in every electrical outlet for the same reason. I suspect the old windows are the culprit. There are a dozen more problems in here like black mold and slugs and discolored water coming through faucets. I am living in misery but am very low, senior income and cannot move unless I live in my car. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Answer
Hello Jodi, thank you for your question. I am sorry you are having all these issues. I understand about your budget situation so I am not sure if my idea will be helpful but here it is anyway - purchase an air purifier. The best ones cost around $200- but I have seen much less expensive versions at some stores - these styles plug into outlets and clean the air. Just be sure to confirm the return policy before you buy it to make sure you can get your money back if it does not work out.

That being said I do have a very inexpensive homemade version you can try. Place a shallow bowl of white vinegar (or two) around the home. No your home will not smell like vinegar but it will absorb odor from the air.

Please use caution with this idea - watch any pets and make sure to note that this is vinegar and not water - although someone would know that the moment they took a drink :) As long as you think it is safe you can give it a try. A gallon at the store is usually $2- so it might be the best place to start.

If I think of anything else I'll write again, I hope you can solve your issue. Best of luck!  

Organizing Your Home & Workspace

Jamie Novak The World's Most Relatable Organizer