Orthodontics/bite problems after invisalign

dez wrote at 2009-11-26 01:26:47
I have an interesting comment. I have an overbite and I always had to move my jaw back to bite down before invisilign... I just got invisilign and its been two days and I noticed my teeth have now been shifted and when I bite down, the only teeth that touch are my two top and bottom front teeth and I get headaches and am cautious to even eat because I'm afraid my two front teeth will keep hitting. My dr is out for thanksgiving and I won't be in town for two weeks. He told me to take them out and come in in a few days afyer the holidays but I can't. I don't have a clue what to do... I'm afraid my teeth will get even worse with the treatment and I duno if I can eat like this for 3 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this kind of discomfort in the first try?  

yonder wrote at 2010-03-08 18:43:44
umm... i just started invisilign. the exact way you describe your bite after the invisilign.. where no back teeth touch and only the front ones unless you move your jaw back, is how my teeth were before invisilign... i am fixing my teeth because it was soo annoying and i hated that my front teeth touch. id have dreams and it would drive me nuts in the mornings. and now that i have my first aligner.. i wanna kill myself even more because i cant even move my jaw back anymore and have a bite. all i have is my two front teeth touching and maybe one or two next to it. id tell ur dr u want it fixed. it will drive you crazy.  

Invisapatient wrote at 2015-04-03 02:38:58
Hey, I just got Invisalign express and I am feeling the exact same symptoms! I am really worried and pissed off because the treatment cost so much and helped so little. Since its been a few years since your experiences with invisalign, how did the bite problems go for you?

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH

First may I say please set your questions to Public so other readers can benefit from the response. Also, if you look at my comprehensive answers, they are not short 1 or 2 paragraph quickie replies that anyone can type out in < 5 minutes. Instead I often will ask other colleagues in other specialties for their advice in order to provide you the questioner with a more interdisciplinary perspective. This all takes time. I ask for readers to therefore allow 5-7 days. You will be rewarded with a very detailed response.

Because of the nature of Orthodontic questions, any pictures of the teeth and X-ray images would be very helpful. If you write to me and explain that you have crooked overlapping front teeth can be interpreted in many many ways, and my goal is to provide a specific response that meets your needs.

I hold double specialty credentials. I am Board Certified in Orthodontics and Board Eligible in Dental Public Health. I welcome questions regarding Braces, Invisible Braces, & Invisalign, as well as issues involving combination Cosmetic Dentistry and Orthodontic treatment. Orthodontics alone sometimes is not enough to achieve that perfect smile. Gingival (gum) re-contouring, tooth reshaping, bonding and other services are sometimes needed. I also have substantial experience in the areas of Infection Control and Sterilization in the Dental Environment. My personal websites and are non-commercial for information purposes only and may provide you with some background to more precisely frame your question for

Please allow a week for a reply. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and am involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. Your understanding is appreciated.

Board Certified Orthodontist (ABO Diplomate) with over 25 years of Private Practice experience. Second Specialty Certificate in Dental Public Health with research experience at NIH, and Epidemiology Training & Research at Harvard, NIH, and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta. Postgraduate Masters degree from the Harvard School of Public Health, as well as a Master of Arts Degree in Education.

American Dental Association, American Association of Orthodontists, Academy of General Dentistry, College of Diplomates of the ABO, OSAP - Office Sterilization & Asepsis Procedures Organization, Others

Available upon Request.

BS College of William & Mary, DDS Medical College of Virginia, Masters of Public Health (MPH) Degree Harvard School of Public Health. Dental Public Health Specialty Certificate from NIH. Orthodontic Specialty Certificate from University of Rochester Eastman Dental Center. USPHS clinical research experience at NIH, and Epidemiology Training & Research at Harvard, NIH, and the Centers for Disease Control. Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD), and Fully Board Certified Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. Board Eligible in Dental Public Health. Visiting Adjunct Associate Professor at the Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, Nashville, Tennessee.

Available upon Request Please see my personal websites and for further personal background.

Available upon Request