Orthodontics/Invisalign causing clinching and neck pain

Cathy wrote at 2011-06-29 05:44:56
I was grinding my teeth in the beginning too but never had a problem with grinding my teeth before invisaligns. I also lost control of my tongue for a short while too. The best way I can explain what I'm saying is watch how a a person addicted to crack talks; specifically how their tongue moves. Not being condescending. I've had a few in my family and when they steal from you, you learn what to look for.

Both only lasted a couple weeks to a month. Occasionally when the correction is stronger than the last set the grinding returns. For me if I press my tongue to the roof of my mouth the grinding stops.

Also for the pain, it diminishes after a while. A quick trick is to keep them in for 12 hours the night u change to a new set and the pain leaves faster. Plus it won't hurt as much when you take them out the 1st time. Taking out 10 min before you eat helps. Go by what time you eat breakfast (or lunch if u r not a breakfast person).

bite woman wrote at 2013-03-05 18:31:16
Be careful with Invisalign.  Mine was the cause of my TMJ neck pain.  The reason was I had veneers already in place and apparently they pushed my jaw back while the appliance was in (bottom only).  Even when I wore both top and bottom it was a problem.  Here is my story http://braceyourselfstory.blogspot.com/

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH