Orthodontics/Debonding of brackets

Question
I have noticed that most patients having composite restorations on labial surfaces of their teeh or porcelain crowns who then opt for orthodontic treatment often face a problem with their braces.
 The brackets constantly debond at the slightest force!!!
Is there a solution to that, such as maybe a different etching technique, or a different bonding material to ensure less hassle for the patient and the doctor...
IF yes then please advice on what can be done..
And thank you so much for your time!

Answer

Hello F,

I have been doing some research on your question, and it really needs to be broken down into several questions.

First, a natural unrestored tooth will of course present little or no difficulties with normal bonding. Here are the different situations:

1) Restored tooth with composite restorative material
2) Restored tooth with metal surface such as a gold onlay or gold crown
3) Restored tooth with Ceramic restoration such as porcelain type veneers or crowns
4) Restored tooth with a buccal amalgam.

The brackets themselves can also come indifferent styles, namely traditional metal and ceramic.

F, if you think about this, there are a lot of combinations.

The bonding to teeth with composite restoration is perhaps the easiest to achieve. The composite  material is often similar to the agents used for bonding brackets. The restoration on the surface is often very smoothly polished, so a little roughening of the surface may be helpful. The primer is then applied to the roughened surface and the bracket attached.

For porcelain and other ceramic restorations, a series of pre-steps are needed. There are some agents which use variations of hydrofluoric acid to etch the "glass" surface of the crowns.  The various primers are then applied and the bracket applied.

For bonding brackets to metal, there are special bonding agents made for specifically bonding metal to metal I recommend that you search for these products if this situation arises.

Bonding to "silver fillings" or "amalgam restorations" is often a little more complex. In the instance of a small buccal it amalgam on a lower first molar for example, sometimes regular etching needs to be done. In the case of a very large amalgam, a special bonding material designed for metal to metal is recommended. I prefer NOT to make any specific brand name recommendations.  Look up amalgam bonding material.

Finally F, the type pf bracket may be important. Meta brackets ideally should have a #80 mesh on the pad of the bracket. Ceramic brackets may not rely strictly on mechanical locking, and therefore bonding ceramic brackets to the four types of restorations described above.

F, I am not certain what your particular situation is. Please feel free to resubmit your question.

You may wish to also visit:

http://www.braces.com
http://www.Leesburgbraces.com  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH