Orthodontics/Extraction

Question
I got braces four months ago. My ortho trying to move upper front teeth backward bcoz i have full upper lip.
I feel, i have bi-maxillary protrusion.
I was told by my ortho to extract four bicuspid(one each side) to create space.
I have no crowding.
I have read that such extraction will cause sleep apnea bcoz tongue has less room, TMJ and so many things.
Any other treatment avilable for me besides extraction.
I'm worried, what should i do.

Answer
The classic alternative to extractions is the use of a palatal expander. (I'm not an orthodontist but I provide resource information on various aspects of the field.) Perhaps your age is a factor in not doing that (I'm told it works best for under-18 or so). I had all four bicuspids extracted when I was 10 and about to get braces, and I have never had sleep apnea issues since then, but you have the right to ask questions and even get a second opinion from another orthodontist. You can find orthodontists, and even send in questions like this, at www.MyLifeMySmile.org, the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman