I got braces four months ago. My ortho trying to move upper front teeth backward bcoz i have full upper lip.
I feel, i have bi-maxillary protrusion.
I was told by my ortho to extract four bicuspid(one each side) to create space.
I have no crowding.
I have read that such extraction will cause sleep apnea bcoz tongue has less room, TMJ and so many things.
Any other treatment avilable for me besides extraction.
I'm worried, what should i do.

The classic alternative to extractions is the use of a palatal expander. (I'm not an orthodontist but I provide resource information on various aspects of the field.) Perhaps your age is a factor in not doing that (I'm told it works best for under-18 or so). I had all four bicuspids extracted when I was 10 and about to get braces, and I have never had sleep apnea issues since then, but you have the right to ask questions and even get a second opinion from another orthodontist. You can find orthodontists, and even send in questions like this, at www.MyLifeMySmile.org, the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists.

Pamela Waterman

I can supply tips, hints, recipes and resources about a braces-friendly lifestyle, for parents of children and teens in braces as well as for adults in braces. Although I am not a medical/dental professional, I have colleagues in the field and will do my best to point you to additional resources.

I am the author of two specialty award-winning cookbooks of soft-food recipes and tips targeted to all ages of braces-wearers (including adults) and give workshops to dental hygienists to help them help their patients with this type of information. I have worn braces both as a teen and as an adult, and am from a family of three generations of braces patients. I regularly contribute information to the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists and Orthotown magazine.

Women in Orthodontics, American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, Independent Book Publishers Association, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Orthotown, Cricket, Family Fun, Highlights, Better Homes and Gardens Kids' Rooms, Chicago Tribune, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix AZ), Healthy Alternatives, Organic & Natural, Desktop Engineering, Machine Design

BS Astrophysics, MS Radio Astronomy/Electrical Engineering

Good Parenting Award from ParentalWisdom.com Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist - Next Generation Indie Books, Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group

American Association of Orthodontists, Smile for a Lifetime