Orthodontics/Retainer

Question
What's the best way to clean a retainer without damaging it?? Like how would I get the plaque off of it??

Answer

Hello Tigest,

I cant begin to tell you the dozens and dozens of patients I have had who have come in and said..." look what happened to my retainer.."

I thought I would start off the reply by describing some of the things NOT TO DO.

First I also need to describe the two most popular types of retainers, namely the Hawley style and the clear non-metal invisible style. A Hawley retainer generally has a palatal ( in the case of an upper) portion made of acrylic or plastic, and various mental clasps to secure it to the teeth. The hall mark description includes a metal wire which runs along the outside of the upper teeth and keeps the teeth aligned and secure. There are of course many variations such as a wrap around Hawley, and others. Hawley retainers can also be made for the lower teeth.

A second style of retainer which has gained popularity in recent years because of the esthetics and lack of a metal wire is the clear " Essix" style or clear " Invisalign-style" retainer. These are all commercial trademarked names, but they essentially describe a flexible retainer made of thin clear plastic which when laced over the teeth almost acts like a "second skin". They are often far more delicate than a Hawley.

Patents have damaged these retainers in many ways. Hot water, or placing them in a dish washer, clothes washer, etc can cause either appliance to distort. These appliances should never be paced in hot boiling water. I have ahd patients come in after wearing a Hawley retainer for 12 years. It was in great shape, but the plastic literally had changed color and looked bizarre. I made her a new retainer. The point being, plastic over time can actually wear out and fatigue, and may often take on a bizarre appearance.

So Tigest, what i would recommend you do is brush it carefully with a tooth brush to get the plaque and food debris off. If tartar ( calculus) and plaque have settled on the appliance and it is difficult to remove soaking the appliances in a denture cleanser may help. Alcohol containing mouthwashes may help  lower bacteria levels on he retainer, but may cause the plastic to change color. Another option is to use a small ultrasonic bath cleaner which people use for cleaning jewelry.

Tigest, clean the retainers often and maintain them, and major cleaning challenges will not arise. In summary, a toothpaste with an abrasive like baking soda, and a tooth brush using warm water is probably the simplest, most affordable option for most people.  No exotic gestures should be needed. and finally, the Hawley style is probably more robust, but suffers in the aesthetics department due to the labial metal bow which courses across the upper and lower front teeth.  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH