Orthodontics/My seven year old had give teeth pulled today

My mother took my daughter to her orthodontist for a consult a few months back. He recommended she have five teeth extracted top and bottom canines, and one lower incisor. His reasoning being there wa crowding and for her new teeth to grow in straighter and have room these needed to come out.  So today we went to oral surgeon he gave her nitrous and novacaine. The whole thing was very traumatic ESP coming off the gas after leaving she was hysterical pain feeling "ugly" asking or teeth back etc. as a single mom who loves her children more than life itself it killed me. She is on Tylenol and Motrin and I was told no solid food just Popsicles an icecream nothing warm etc... They also said to give the Tylenol with codeine before bed. She just woke up vomitting all over herself I alled on call and gave her zofran. Now she is asleep... I guess my question is was this normal to extract all these teeth and will she be okay! In reading about it those teeth won't emerge for another four years!!! I was told it would be not long !! What do I do what just happened? How long will she have missing teeth? Was this this right thing? Please help me

You are a great mom! I'm not an orthodontist (I provide resource information on various aspects of the topic) but I can tell you I had four permanent teeth extracted before I had braces put on at age 9 and it all worked out fine. My guess (based on my own daughters having their wisdom teeth out) is that your daughter got sick over the codeine in the Tylenol (one of my daughters throws up Codeine and another throws up Percoset). In both case, they can handle it fine if given Zofran with it, so it's just a temporary effect of the pain medication, which she will probably not need to take after another day or so. Popsicles are a very good idea. But do call the oral surgeon to ask all your questions today - that's what they are there for, and they've seen this all before. My personal opinion is that the braces will close up those spaces just fine, as they did mine, but your orthodontist should also be able to show your daughter before-and-after pictures of other little girls who have had that done and turned out beautifully. I wish you both the best; be proud of yourself for caring the way you do!  

Pamela Waterman

I can supply tips, hints, recipes and resources about a braces-friendly lifestyle, for parents of children and teens in braces as well as for adults in braces. Although I am not a medical/dental professional, I have colleagues in the field and will do my best to point you to additional resources.

I am the author of two specialty award-winning cookbooks of soft-food recipes and tips targeted to all ages of braces-wearers (including adults) and give workshops to dental hygienists to help them help their patients with this type of information. I have worn braces both as a teen and as an adult, and am from a family of three generations of braces patients. I regularly contribute information to the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists and Orthotown magazine.

Women in Orthodontics, American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, Independent Book Publishers Association, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Orthotown, Cricket, Family Fun, Highlights, Better Homes and Gardens Kids' Rooms, Chicago Tribune, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix AZ), Healthy Alternatives, Organic & Natural, Desktop Engineering, Machine Design

BS Astrophysics, MS Radio Astronomy/Electrical Engineering

Good Parenting Award from Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist - Next Generation Indie Books, Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group

American Association of Orthodontists, Smile for a Lifetime