Orthodontics/baby tooth in front of adult tooth

Question
Hello I'm 52 years old And I still have a baby tooth with adult tooth behind it It is a back tooth on the top I have been to my dentist And they said I would need to see orthodontist To have a procedure of have it pulled I was wanted to know How long can I  go like this And would the tooth fall out on it own Or can I  have it pulled at a dentist Thank you Carolyn

Answer
Hello Carolyn. I'm not an orthodontist (I provide resource information on various aspects of this field), but I'm surprised that your dentist would say this. First off, I do not know of any orthodontists who extract teeth, so I recommend you find another dentist for this purpose. Given that the baby tooth has not yet fallen out, I think it would need to be extracted. It may be, however, that this dentist feels that some orthodontic work may be helpful to bring the new adult tooth into its proper place, particularly if the baby tooth area does not seem to allow enough space for the larger adult tooth to fit as it comes in. I would see about getting a free consultation with another dentist and with an orthodontist to get suggestions on what you could do next. By the way, I had adult braces at age 53/54, and it all worked well. Best wishes.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman