Orthodontics/Adult Orthodontics

Question
Hello,

I am a second year dental student looking to get a few questions answers in regards to my own oral health.

I have previously undergone orthodontic treatment the was completed at the age of 15. I am currently 25 years old. I have not used any retainers for the past few years, and as a result some of teeth have mildly shifted (slight rotation on #24, some misalignment on #7,8,9,10) and as a result now have a slightly heavy anterior occlusion that is causing a bit of fremitus on #7 and #8). I am looking in to undergoing a short duration of braces again to correct said issues.

I have no third molars, however I now have a root canal treated gold crown on #15. Do gold crowns on the last posterior molars affect treatment for ortho? Are putting the metal bands around crowns a little risky in terms of removal if the crown was not done correctly (since the crown is currently on, I am afraid to "find out" that it wasn't done correctly if it pops off while the band is being removed). Does the most posterior molar always get banded for ortho, or in some instances you can manage to only have brackets placed on each tooth? Can gold crowns have a bracket placed on them, as in this instance?

Thank you for your time

Answer
Good questions. I'm not an orthodontist but I provide resource information on various aspects of the field. I also had adult braces at age 53 and happen to have four gold crowns, one of which I'd had at that point for 28 years. My orthodontist definitely banded all of the molars that had the gold crowns (3 second molars and one first molar); I have no third molars either. I was told that gold crowns do not get brackets, though I also have two ceramic crowns and those did get brackets. All went well. I would imagine your orthodontist can test the current status of the crown to make a judgement about band removal issues. Hope this helps.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman