Orthodontics/lips problem after placing braces

I wearing my braces since May 2011.
From the first 2 months, my upper lips start peeling until now.
And i used few lips gloss ,went for 2 doctors and a pharmacies.
However, it doesn't turn better.

Since last month, it turn worse.
The skin above my upper lips become red and sallow.
Now the lower lips starting to become red and sallow as well.
For your information i didnt facing any lips problem or foods allergy
before i braces.
Even i put the wax on the braces to avoid directly contact towards my skin,,
it doesnt turn better or rehabilitation.

Please give my some advise, i really very sad with these.

I'm not an orthodontist (I supply resource information on the subject) but it could be an allergy to nickel or to the latex (elastic) ligatures on each bracket. If your orthodontist won't explore the problem more, find another orthodontist to give you a second opinion. There are vinyl elastics they can use, and I believe there are nickel-free wires. Keep asking questions - you are in charge and they are responsible to answer to you. If there is a university with a dental school in your country, you could also contact them with your questions. Best wishes.

Pamela Waterman

I can supply tips, hints, recipes and resources about a braces-friendly lifestyle, for parents of children and teens in braces as well as for adults in braces. Although I am not a medical/dental professional, I have colleagues in the field and will do my best to point you to additional resources.

I am the author of two specialty award-winning cookbooks of soft-food recipes and tips targeted to all ages of braces-wearers (including adults) and give workshops to dental hygienists to help them help their patients with this type of information. I have worn braces both as a teen and as an adult, and am from a family of three generations of braces patients. I regularly contribute information to the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists and Orthotown magazine.

Women in Orthodontics, American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, Independent Book Publishers Association, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Orthotown, Cricket, Family Fun, Highlights, Better Homes and Gardens Kids' Rooms, Chicago Tribune, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix AZ), Healthy Alternatives, Organic & Natural, Desktop Engineering, Machine Design

BS Astrophysics, MS Radio Astronomy/Electrical Engineering

Good Parenting Award from Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist - Next Generation Indie Books, Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group

American Association of Orthodontists, Smile for a Lifetime