Orthodontics/lower jaw position at rest

Question
Dear Sir,
When jaw is in relax position, does the lower jaw more forward/backward/same compared when i bite? when i bite  my anterior teeth have slightly overjet so my edge of lower teeth do not touch the back of my upper anterior teeth. The problem is there are so many times when i slept on bus,train in sit down position, my lower jaw will upward a little and hit the edge of my two upper central incisors.It seems that the lower jaw sometimes are more forward in the rest position. Anyway, i have minor open bite. my two upper central incisor almost do not overlap my lower teeth (0mm)and the two laterals have open bite about (1-2mm). Is this an abnormal rest position?

Answer

Hello Ely,

The issue you describe can be affected by many factors. Traditionally many dentists have viewed the bite using terms like centric occlusion and centric relation. In recent years there have been disputes whether such terms should be interpreted in an absolute sense.

Do realize that the lower jaw is connected to the skull via a joint called the temporo-mandibular  joint.  This is more or less a ball and socket type set up with the difference that the lower jaw not only can rotate within the socket but also gently  glide out of and then back into the "socket". The anatomical nature of the "ball" as well as the " socket", and the little disc or meniscus separating the two can impact the way the jaw opens up.

In addition, the teeth, particularly the canines can also often affect how the upper and lower jaws eventually meet and "occlude". When orthodontists check the bite of a patient they must be careful to do it both in the upright as well as horizontal position, as the two may differ.

In your situation, the bite relationship seems to be dictated by the skeletal architecture you have, and you also mention the fact that you feel you have a minor "open bite". To answer your question, when a person opens their mouth the lower ja tends to firs open and rotate down and then sightly forwards. If you were to mark the lower tip of the chin and watch yourself in profile, you might see a tear-drop shaped open and closing pathway or orbit defined. This path of opening and closing, viewed wither in profile or from the front, can experience deviations as noted due to the anatomy of the ball and socket area (condyle and glenoid fossa), the disc ( meniscus), the dental occlusion due to canine guidance or lack thereof, and many more factors.

So the final answer to your question is that the opening and closing pathway can vary, but generally is open, down, and forward, and then the opposite s you close your mouth. I hope this has been helpful Ely.

Paul Supan,  DDS, MA, MPH
http://www.Leesburgbraces.com  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH