Orthodontics/Possible root damage in 12 year old

Question
Question: My daughter is 12 and had some mandibular crowding when treatment began 4 months ago and central incisors formed slight v shape but small amount(approximate 1 mm) space between canines/premolar on both sides. After 1st appointment, right side had powerchain to close space but not the left.  At the second appointment, the ligature was left off the left central incisor bracket because it was difficult to put on and so the tooth started to drift slightly behind other incisor.  Last appointment an open coil (?-I think) spring was used to open space and assistant used so much force daughter left office with about 2 mm space between central incisors and was crying from pain of this procedure.  This was 5 weeks ago, pain subsided after 4-5 days.  Should I be concerned with very rapid movement and high force level?

Answer

Hi JC and thank you for submitting a very interesting question.

I am going to make some initial assumptions here before answering your question. I am going to presume, given the information provided, that she is receiving comprehensive treatment likely lasting 18-24 months, and that she is scheduled for treatment with braces for upper and lower teeth.

The lower incisors have some of the smallest roots of any teeth in the mouth. Therefore movement of these teeth can sometimes take place fairly rapidly. The small crown size, especially when the lower incisors are rotated and crowded, makes placement of brackets and accompanying ligatures, wires, elastics, etc very difficult at times. Indeed, many orthodontists will often remove and re-bracket a lower incisor once some correction has taken place. The reason for this is that it was impossible to properly initially position and place the incisor bracket due to restricted access because of rotations, angulations, etc.

I feel that the treatment so far is still in its initial stages, and the movement of teeth is still playing out. I have no reason to believe that at this point anything is awry.

I do want to address the issue of "pain" and the fact that your daughter was crying. Patients all have varying thresholds of discomfort, and some patients are really unable to manage pain, especially dental related discomforts. What I am suggesting is that the procedure may very well be quite normal, but your daughter may need to have some extra special touches provided.  By this, I mean to suggest that perhaps the movements or coil strengths can be lessened, albeit at the expense of possibly longer treatment times. Orthodontists see this all the time, and I am certain that if you explained the situation to your orthodontist that he/she will be happy to adjust the treatment approaches and techniques to better fit your daughter's needs.

Have a short conference with your orthodontist at the next visit, and I am sure all will be well. One final comment.... lower incisor orthodontic correction is often very very prone to relapse. Please follow your orthodontist's direction after treatment is completed regarding the wearing of retainers. You will be glad you did.  

Again, thank you for an interesting question.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Http://www.Braces.com
Http://www.LeesburgBraces.com  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH