Orthodontics/Palate Expander

I have to get a palate expander due to a narrow upper jaw. I was wondering about how long (on average) that most people have to keep it in for?

I'm not an orthodontist but I provide resource information of various aspects of this field. Also, my own daughter had an expander due to a narrow upper jaw. She wore it about 12 weeks, and it did the job perfectly. My big advice: if the orthodontist shows you and your parent in the office how to turn the little key, and does it right then, DO NOT do it again that night. I wasn't told that, so it was turned once in the office and then I did it again myself that same night - it hurt and I felt so bad. Once a day is it, and that's fine. Best wishes with the whole braces experience - it's really worth it.

Pamela Waterman

I can supply tips, hints, recipes and resources about a braces-friendly lifestyle, for parents of children and teens in braces as well as for adults in braces. Although I am not a medical/dental professional, I have colleagues in the field and will do my best to point you to additional resources.

I am the author of two specialty award-winning cookbooks of soft-food recipes and tips targeted to all ages of braces-wearers (including adults) and give workshops to dental hygienists to help them help their patients with this type of information. I have worn braces both as a teen and as an adult, and am from a family of three generations of braces patients. I regularly contribute information to the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists and Orthotown magazine.

Women in Orthodontics, American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, Independent Book Publishers Association, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Orthotown, Cricket, Family Fun, Highlights, Better Homes and Gardens Kids' Rooms, Chicago Tribune, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix AZ), Healthy Alternatives, Organic & Natural, Desktop Engineering, Machine Design

BS Astrophysics, MS Radio Astronomy/Electrical Engineering

Good Parenting Award from Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist - Next Generation Indie Books, Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group

American Association of Orthodontists, Smile for a Lifetime