Orthodontics/Palate Expander

Question
I have to get a palate expander due to a narrow upper jaw. I was wondering about how long (on average) that most people have to keep it in for?

Answer
I'm not an orthodontist but I provide resource information of various aspects of this field. Also, my own daughter had an expander due to a narrow upper jaw. She wore it about 12 weeks, and it did the job perfectly. My big advice: if the orthodontist shows you and your parent in the office how to turn the little key, and does it right then, DO NOT do it again that night. I wasn't told that, so it was turned once in the office and then I did it again myself that same night - it hurt and I felt so bad. Once a day is it, and that's fine. Best wishes with the whole braces experience - it's really worth it.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman