Orthodontics/Big midline discrepancies

Question
I had ortho treatment completed about a year and a half ago. The doctor had a lot of work to deal with and I had 5 or 6 teeth extracted in the process. My problem is my midline. I have one front tooth not two and one frobt bottom tooth. The esthetics is a big deal on its own but what I really can't stand is my occlusion. My gums have begun receding due to the occlusion and its extremly uncomfortable having my mouth closed with my teeth touching. My question is how can this be fixed. Is there a way. Its too late to get new retainers. My mandibular retainers broke and my mandibular hav their own story. What are my options to fixing my midline? Are there any? I'm also having speech problems my teeth move

Answer
I recommend you go back to your orthodontist for a consultation (I'm not an orthodontist but I provide resource information on the field). Proper occlusion is definitely important for many reasons, but each case is different. I've heard of cases where the best compromise, given various problems, was to allow a less-than-perfect midline solution. However, you certainly have the right to ask about what the thought process was, and what the orthodontist thinks now. I'm not sure why you think it's too late for new retainers; they're very helpful and not bad to wear when you get to the point of just wearing them at night (I plan to wear mine forever, after having had adult braces three years ago). You can always get a second opinion from another orthodontist, too, and a third possibility is going to students in the orthodontic program of a local university's dental school. I's worth pursuing for your future oral health, especially because of the gums. Good luck with it all.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman