Orthodontics/baking soda and braces

Question
Hello Dr. Waterman my question is I have heard that baking soda whitens teeth and I recently just had braces put on about a week ago and would really like to have my teeth white before I get them off because as soon as I get my braces off they are doing bonding on my front tooth that has some decalcification and as you know the bonding material is not susceptible to bleaching or whitening of any kind so I was wondering if it would be ok for me to brush with baking soda and of course toothpaste while I have my braces on thank you in advance Dr. Waterman have a blessed day!

Answer
I'm not an orthodontist (kind of you to think so) - I provide resource information on various aspects of this field. After doing some research (see http://blog.toothygrinsstore.com/2013/01/do-not-brush-your-teeth-with-baking-sod and http://www.crestprohealth.com/dental-hygiene-topics/care-for-your-mouth/brushing), it seems to me that you should NOT do this, or else not without specific directions on frequency from your dentist or orthodontist. The abrasiveness will damage the enamel on your teeth and the edges of your gums.

Even the Arm & Hammer website ("the" baking soda company) says to use a baking-soda TOOTHPASTE rather than straight baking soda. So, perhaps you'd like to try that; either way, do ask your own dentist/orthodontist before trying anything different from your regular paste. They deal with this all the time, and should have answers to your questions. Hope this helps - here's to a successful braces experience.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman