Orthodontics/Mouth breathing

Question
Dear Mr. Paul Supan

I have a question for you regarding mouth breathing. My question is the following: can all the negative effects of mouth breathing on facial growth be treated surgically too? What I actually mean is that if the mouth breathing problem and effects on facial growth are discovered too late (like at 20-25 years old), can all these negative effects be treated surgically? If yes, how? Will the face look like it should have developed by breathing through nose?

Answer

Dear Iasi,

Thank you for your question. It is a complex question so I took extra time to ask a few colleagues and to think about this before answering. As always, what I write here are only my opinions based on very limited information. My comments should not be viewed as any form of diagnosis, definitive or otherwise,  or any form of  treatment recommendation.  Indeed, in the ultimate analysis all final decisions, particularly clinical ones, should  only be made by qualified doctors who have had a chance to see you in person and who have had an opportunity to take and analyze proper diagnostic records.

Okay… having said  that…  your  questions focused on changes due to mouth breathing. You asked:

"...can all the negative effects of mouth breathing on facial growth be treated surgically too? What I actually mean is that if the mouth breathing problem and effects on facial growth are discovered too late (like at 20-25 years old), can all these negative effects be treated surgically? If yes, how? Will the face look like it should have developed by breathing through nose?... "

Basically, four of the most significant negative effects include:

1) Narrow upper jaw. A person who mouth breathes allows the lower jaw to drop in order to ope the mouth for breathing. Doing so also will permit the tongue to drop down from the roof of the mouth. There is an equilibrium or balance of the cheek forces pushing inwards and pressing against the lip and cheek sides of the teeth. The tongue in an opposite fashions in pushing outwards and pressing against the inner tongue sides of the teeth. In mouth breathing this equilibrium is changes and more pressure from the cheeks makes for a narrowing of the upper jaw . Imagine the upper jaw and teeth as a horse shoe shape. Pressing against the sides of the horseshoe makes the for a narrower and more constricted arch. This is precisely what happens on the mouth when the cheeks press in against the teeth more dramatically than the tongue can balance and push outwards. In growing children this can have a dramatic impact.

There have been cases of small children chewing on electrical cords and severely injuring the tongue. A small tongue due to such an injury resulted in a very small and constricted upper arch again due to the small injured tongue not balancing out the inward pushing forces of the cheeks.

2)  Strong and/or excessive vertical jaw angle. If you look at the human jaw in profile from the side, there is a slight resemblance to the letter "L" or a hockey stick. The vertical part is called the ramus of the jaw and the horizontal part the corpus or body. Here is a helpful link http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject/44 . In a mouth breather the angle between the corpus and the ramus can become slightly larger (more oblique). This can affect the bite  or occlusion. It can also affect the appearance of a person namely resulting is a slight vertical looking  or "long"  face. When viewed in profile, the inferior border of the body or corpus of the mandible may show a slight bend. That is, not only does the angle between the ramus and the corpus  increase, but the inferior border of the lower part of the jaw (corpus) may exhibit a downward bending.

3)  The development of a skeletal open bite may be also sometimes be related to mouth breathing. Not if the anterior teeth do not meet and a tongue thrust develops, the anterior teeth may not be in a correct position. Lip posture can dramatically change, and a person's profile as viewed from the side can display  non-ideal characteristics.

4)  Impact on the floor of the nose. It makes sense that a person with a narrow upper jaw and narrow upper dental arch will have a narrow floor of the nose. The effect on nasal appearance while perhaps minimal, can not be rules out.

As to whether surgery can address these problems, I would say yes, but whether this is recommended will depend on a diagnosis by doctors who have evaluated you in person and can better understand your needs, appearance standards,  and aesthetic goals.

I would recommend that you consult with an orthodontist and an oral surgeon. I hope that this somewhat technical discussion has proven helpful Iasi  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH