Orthodontics/Orthodontics

Question
Hello Dr Supan,

I saw an Orthodontist today.  She diagnosed me with having a class 2 occlusion and mild crowding.  She said my entire mouth is in excellent shape, other than plaque behind my 2 bottom teeth.  Treatment will be between 20-22 months for a grand total of $6300-$6600 in Canadian dollars.  Does this amount sound right?

Also, I forgot to ask her, and she didn't mention to me, but after surfing the web, I read that I will have to wear a retainer for the rest of my life after treatment?

Thanks,

SK in Ottawa, Canada

Answer

Dear SK,

I uploaded a reply to your question earlier, but apparently it crashed as the site shows I still have not relied. Indeed odd, so here it goes again.

What I write here are only my opinions based on very limited information. My comments should not be viewed as any form of diagnosis, definitive or otherwise,  or any form of  treatment recommendation.  Indeed, in the ultimate analysis all final decisions, particularly clinical ones, should  only be made by qualified doctors who have had a chance to see you in person and who have had an opportunity to take and analyze proper diagnostic records.

Okay… having said  that…  your  questions focused on managing a Class II case with orthodontic treatment..  You  wrote:

"  Treatment will be between 20-22 months for a grand total of $6300-$6600 in Canadian dollars.  Does this amount sound right?

Also, I forgot to ask her, and she didn't mention to me, but after surfing the web, I read that I will have to wear a retainer for the rest of my life after treatment?  "

The following two links at braces.com will help answer some of your questions.

http://braces.com/6001.html  cost for braces

http://braces.com/47601.html  retainers

The cost for orthodontic treatment varies widely, and if you are in Toronto for example expect higher fees than if you were in Sydney Nova Scotia. There are no set "proper" fees, and if you think the fee is high or are curious to see if you might be able to find equal quality treatment else where at a more affordable price, then I would encourage you to seek several opinions.

The treatment times can vary as well depending on whether the Orthodontist is treating a Class II case via extractions, Herbst Appliances, growth modification orthopedic appliances such as head gear, etc. 20-22 months seems reasonable.

Finally, regarding retainers. For my patients I recommend full time wear for 3-6 month and then night time wear thereafter. For cases where I fear for the stability and/or patient compliance, I often will bond a small wire on the inside of the incisors. This is called a bonded lingual retainer and i use it to supplement the regular removable retainer, much like an automotive airbag acts as a supplemental safety restraint to a seat belt.

Ask you Orthodontist what he/she recommends.  I hope SK that the linked information and the few paragraphs here have helped.  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH