Orthodontics/Loose bands

I have a loose band on one of my molar and my orthodontist is being completely unreasonable cause she won't squeeze me in until my next appointment beacause it takes too long to let the cement dry and she says that there are other patients and I even asked to be the last one and wait, but she said no. I mean I'm not in pain and it's not off completely, but it's loose, so I keep pushing it up and I'm not chewing on another side, but it's annoying and my next appointment is in 3 weeks. I wish I could switch orthodontist, but I already paid my debt off my braces and the next appointment is when I'm getting my retainer measured, I won't get my braces off yet though, but I'm so close and it would seem like a waste of time. Anyway, sorry for rambling on but, what should I do? Should I just wait?
Thank you for your time.

Hi Elizabeth. I agree - I'm a little surprised at the orthodontist's reluctance, but I don't think it is an emergency at all, and any additional appointments take time out of their regular schedule. My understanding is that the loose band won't make any difference in your treatment time (at this point). I'm not an orthodontist (I provide resources about different aspects of this field), but with its being a band, it won't "fall off" - the bracket and wire will keep it pretty much in place. It sure sounds annoying, but I think as long as you take extra care to brush/floss around it, you'll be fine just waiting. Good luck with everything - you're so close. Just be sure to wear the retainer as directed, including always at night - it's so worth ensuring that great new smile stays the way you want it.  

Pamela Waterman

I can supply tips, hints, recipes and resources about a braces-friendly lifestyle, for parents of children and teens in braces as well as for adults in braces. Although I am not a medical/dental professional, I have colleagues in the field and will do my best to point you to additional resources.

I am the author of two specialty award-winning cookbooks of soft-food recipes and tips targeted to all ages of braces-wearers (including adults) and give workshops to dental hygienists to help them help their patients with this type of information. I have worn braces both as a teen and as an adult, and am from a family of three generations of braces patients. I regularly contribute information to the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists and Orthotown magazine.

Women in Orthodontics, American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, Independent Book Publishers Association, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Orthotown, Cricket, Family Fun, Highlights, Better Homes and Gardens Kids' Rooms, Chicago Tribune, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix AZ), Healthy Alternatives, Organic & Natural, Desktop Engineering, Machine Design

BS Astrophysics, MS Radio Astronomy/Electrical Engineering

Good Parenting Award from ParentalWisdom.com Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist - Next Generation Indie Books, Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group

American Association of Orthodontists, Smile for a Lifetime