Orthodontics/Age for braces

Question
I am 58. My dentist tells me my bones are too hard
for orthodontics. My bottom front teeth are thinning
the top in a couple places. My old dentist ground the
bottoms down and put compound on them. This dentist
warns me that is a stop-gap measure and I will run out of
tooth eventually, and refers me to an occlusionist.

Am I too old to have just the front 4 bottom ones pulled back
some?

Answer
Generally speaking, there is no age limit for adult braces: I had mine at 53/54, my mother had hers at 68 (23 years ago!) and I've heard of patients in their 80s. I'm not an orthodontist, but I've been providing resource material on the subject for almost ten years; what I've heard is the critical factor is the health of your teeth and jaw. You say your dentist says your bones are too hard for orthodontics; I suggest you get second opinions from both another dentist (who isn't trying to sell you anything) and from two orthodontists. Reputable professionals will not put you in braces if they see an underlying problem such as severe osteoporosis but you need more information. Best wishes.

Orthodontics

Pamela Waterman