Orthodontics/Orthodontic question

Question
I think I have “short face syndrome" on that subject, my orthodontist said no one keeps their jaw shut all the way all the time. There is a name for this space. What is this called. Do people keep their jaw open to compensate for short face syndrome?

Answer

Hi Colin,

I am not sure I quite understand the question. I am returning the question to you " kind of sort of unanswered " , but let me fill in a few things.

Short medium and long face individuals can be classified into three categories namely mesocephalic (normal middle-faced),  brachycephalic (short-faced), and dolicocephalic (long-faced). A person with a very  short round face like a bowling ball  may be categorized as brachycephalic

Saying a person is "short-faced" is a difficult assessment.  Using xrays, one can judge this by the skeletal architecture alone, or one can look at a person's face and judge an overall  combination of skeletal and soft tissue. The term "soft tissue drape" refers to the camouflage effect that skin, muscle and fat can have in compensating for any kind of facial category.

The space between the upper and lower jaw is the inter-occlusal or freeway space. Here is a link.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/freeway+space

Is there a question you wish to ask ? Please resubmit your question and I will be happy to answer it. I hope this short "unofficial non-answer"  has been helpful.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com

Please allow a week for a reply. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. Your understanding is appreciated.

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH