Orthodontics/repair retainer

Question
my son cracked his retainer (made of plastic) is there some strong safe glue that can be used to repair it? If yes, would you suggest any special guidance/tips to successfully repair it.

Answer

Hi David,

What I write here are only my opinions based on very limited information. My comments should not be viewed as any form of diagnosis, definitive or otherwise,  or any form of  treatment recommendation.  Indeed, in the ultimate analysis all final decisions, particularly clinical ones, should  only be made by qualified doctors who have had a chance to see you in person and who have had an opportunity to take and analyze proper diagnostic records.

Okay… having said  that…  your  questions focused on your son's cracked ( vacuum formed?? ) plastic retainer.  You  wrote:

"    my son cracked his retainer (made of plastic) is there some strong safe glue that can be used to repair it? If yes, would you suggest any special guidance/tips to successfully repair it.  "

David, there are several types of "plastic retainers" . One style is the clear plastic  vacuum formed retainer which looks much like a clear " Invisalign Brand" brand aligner appliance. Another popular type of plastic retainer is the " Hawley Style" which incorporates a metal wire bow.

The Hawley style can be more readily repaired, whereas the vacuum formed, once cracked, is a bit more problematic. I would not recommend any homestyle remedies because the adhesives could contain components which may cause allergic reactions in the mouth. I would recommend that regardless of which style you have, that you return to your Orthodontist or Dentist and ask him/her if the appliance can be sent to a dental laboratory for repair. Many dental offices actually fabricate the appliances in the office and perhaps the broken retainer you have can be repaired in house.

In broad overview, when you think of how much time and effort ( and money )went into actual Orthodontic treatment, then the cost of a retainer begins to pale in significance. Retainers may look simple, but often they are not. Immediately following treatment, retainer coverage of the second molars is sometimes not possible if they have not yet fully erupted. In such cases, a future follow up full coverage retainer may be needed.

Check with your Dental office and get a dental professional to personally repair your cracked retainer or to have it sent out to professional dental lab for repair or replacement. You'll look back in future years and be glad you did David. This was a very significant and interesting question. I am glad you wrote.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com

Please allow a week for a reply. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. Your understanding is appreciated.  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH