Orthodontics/chillli5@yahoo.com

Question
Hi Dr. Supan.

I was curious to know how long orthodontists generally keep patient records (including facial photos and photos of the teeth).

Thank you.

Answer

Dear Chila,

This is an interesting question and the answer is " it depends".

Ugh...

I say this because in the United states each state, as well as the District of Columbia, has unique jurisdiction over the laws and regulations governing dentistry. Also, in the case of treatment of a minor ( <18 years old) many states require that the charts and records be kept until age of majority (18 years old).

In 2016, many records are now electronic, so unlike in the past, storage is not so much a challenge. radiographs are digital, as are many photographs and even model records. Some offices are all paperless, and the only paper item kept is the original informed consent document that the patient or parent has signed.

I have had patients whom I have treated for relapse, and the original treating doctors still had records from >10 years ago. Likewise, I have had some doctors who have discarded patient orthodontic records after just three years, or for one year after the most recent appointment and they were dismissed.

Realize also, Chila, that Orthodontists may have different patient treatment patterns, populations, and record retention needs, compared to perhaps General Dentists. All are generally subject to uniform state laws governing dentistry, but actual practice patterns may vary widely.

Finally, you are in Canada. What a fabulous country, great hockey, great people, but alas, I cannot comment at all on your dental laws or records practice patterns.

Thank you for your many letters and questions. I think people enjoy reading questions like yours. Happy holidays and all the best in 2016.

I am told Chila that the website here encourages readers like you to rate the answers and to resubmit with follow up questions. Good luck with your upcoming Doctor visits, and thank you for writing. Do write again soon

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist in Leesburg VA

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com

To all readers, please allow a week for a reply. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and am involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. I also will sometimes consult with other doctors on complex questions. This of course takes time.  Also, there are occasional holidays when the account is temporarily set on inactive. Your understanding is appreciated.  

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH